2006-01-29

Weekly Numbers -- January 29, 2006

Weight: 56.00 lbs above target weight
This week: up 2.00 lbs
This year: up 0.50 lbs


Current bike odometer: 2157.5 miles

This past week:

  • I worked out 6 times, exceeding my goal.
  • I cycled on 5 days, meeting my goal, for a total of 40.49 miles.
  • I drove the MTB twice, meeting my goal.
  • I walked the dogs 7 days (!), exceeding my goal, for a total of about 5 miles.
  • I skied 5.03 miles in 1 NordicTrack session.
  • I stretched once.
  • I meditated once.
  • I drove the car over 100 miles, never for my own use (visiting elderly relative).


In short, I met or exceeded all goals -- and gained 2 pounds. Well, if I hadn't been down this road a time or three, I might find this discouraging. But I know that the difference between this week's and last week's weight could easily be water weight, and that I may have added muscle (which weighs more than fat).

I'm doing the right things. I'm exercising properly, I'm eating healthy foods in reasonable amounts. I'm enjoying myself and feeling good. I know I'm on the right track. So I will keep moving forward.

This week's goals:

  • Workout at least 5 times, burning at least 500 calories each time.
  • Cycle at least 2 miles on at least 5 days.
  • Drive the MTB at least 1 mile on at least 2 days, at least once off road.
  • Cycle at least 45 miles total.
  • Walk the dogs at least 5 times.
  • Stretch at least 2 times.
  • Meditate at least 2 times.
  • Drive the car only when truly necessary and track mileage.


I've added 5 miles to the cycling goal, and I've added stretching and meditation. It's getting more complicated, but in reality, it's getting easier. Working out is an old habit I'm easily relearning. Cycling for transportation is much more fun than driving. Walking the dogs makes me feel good (and makes them feel at least as good). These things are basically automatic now. A few more weeks and I can truly say they are dialed-in.

The new stuff can become automatic, too. The only thing left to add is strength training (mainly for upper body, as cycling is doing a nice job with my legs), but in the interest of simplicity, I'm going to save that for another week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home