2006-01-24

Monday store run

So I cycled to the store and back last night. 6.89 miles.

I know Greg LeMond famously said that cycling "doesn't get easier, you just get faster" -- but I beg to differ. If you don't care about going faster, it does get easier. A lot easier.

I remember the first time I made this run, my thighs felt like they were about to explode and I was very worried about the traffic as I struggled up the long hill leading back into downtown in granny gear. Last night, it was almost easy. Still slow, but now spinning comfortably in a higher gear.

Wearing the right clothes helps, too. When the drizzle and chill are not even factors, cycling is a lot more pleasant. I still need a better base layer, either wool or synthetic, but I'll find it soon, and in the meanwhile what I have works OK.

I also took the dogs for the usual 0.7 mile walk. They are now thoroughly spoiled, expecting the walk every night. Which is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home