2008-07-29

Two recent workouts...

2008 07 28 Monday 8:00 PM (finish)

Bally Total Fitness, East Brunswick
30 minutes on the LifeFitness cycle
20 minutes snorkeling
20 minutes swimming

This was one of the most satisfying cardio sessions I've ever done. During the cycling, I concentrated on my cadence (target 85-95 rpm) and posture. Maintaining my target heart rate of 135-140 was easy. I finished with 2:30 of high intensity, raising my HR up to 170 and spinning as fast as 110 rpm. During the swimming, I concentrated on form and abdominal breathing. I did 20 minutes with fins/snorkel, another 10 minutes with snorkel but sans fins and finished with 10 minutes of regular swimming (alternating laps of breaststroke and freestyle). Breathing with the snorkel is addictive! One reason is the 'sensory deprivation' factor which makes for a meditative experience. Another reason is the removal of breathing from swimming, enabling more concentration on form and breathing.


2008 07 29 Tuesday 8:30 PM (finish)

Cycling in Somerset
duration 41:34
avg 13.7 mph
max 24.5 mph
distance 9.51 miles

avg heart rate 155
burned calories 875

So that's 111.5 of my 275 minutes for this week....

I used my new Gary Fisher Advance for this one, just as I did for a slightly longer ride last week. I'm getting some new Continental Contact city/trekking tires for my Trek later this week and when I do I'll start using the Continental Town & Country tires (currently on the Trek) on the Fisher. Even with knobbies, the Fisher is my faster bike. I'll post some pics of my bikes as soon as I get around to it...

Cycling is much more enjoyable now thanks to finally getting my saddle properly adjusted and a couple of good purchases. The Brooks Flyer saddle was an excellent call. My Pearl Izumi liner shorts are also making for a more comfortable ride.

It's also good to have lights that I can depend on. My Cateye Triple Shot headlight and Planet Bike Superflash tail light are both exceeding expectations. The headlight is a good 'seeing' light as well as an inescapable 'be seen' light. Battery life seems pretty good.

The only thing I want to improve is level of exertion. This was supposed to have been easy to moderate and actually ended up being intense. I need to drop into a lower gear more often to maintain my target HR. Part of it is the hills. Due to fatness, even small hills present major challenges. My Heart Rate shot up to about 160 in the first few minutes. As I've seen many times in all types of exercise, once it goes up, it stays up. I was in the mid 150s for the most of the ride, which is about 15-20 beats higher than my target. Well, you know, the biggest room in the world is... the room for improvement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home